Books & Contributions to Books
Books by Robert Fulford
- This Was Expo (McClelland and Stewart, 1968); French edition: Portrait de l'Expo, translated by Massue Belleau (McClelland and Stewart, 1968)
- Remember Expo: A Pictorial Record. Written by Robert Fulford; photographed by John de Visser, Harold Whyte, and Peter Varley (McClelland and Stewart, 1968)
- Crisis at the Victory Burlesk: Culture, Politics & Other Diversions (Oxford University Press, 1968)
- Text and introduction for Harold Town Drawings (McClelland and Stewart, 1968)
- Co-editor (with Dave Godfrey and Abraham Rotstein) of Read Canadian: A Book about Canadian Books (James Lewis & Samuel, 1972)
- Marshall Delaney at the Movies: The Contemporary World As Seen On Film (Peter Martin Associates in association with Take One magazine, 1974)
- An Introduction to the Arts in Canada (Copp Clark, 1977)
- The Fulford File (New Leaf Publications, 1978) [64-page collection of excerpts from Robert Fulford's "Notebook" column in Saturday Night]
- Co-author (with Joan Murray) of The Beginning of Vision: The Drawings of Lawren S. Harris (Douglas & McIntyre in association with the Mira Godard Editions, 1982)
- Canada: A Celebration. Text by Robert Fulford; photos by John de Visser. (Key Porter Books, 1983)
- Best Seat in the House: Memoirs of a Lucky Man (Collins, 1988)
- Accidental City: The Transformation of Toronto (Macfarlane Walter & Ross, 1995)
- Toronto Discovered (Key Porter Books, 1998)
- The Triumph of Narrative: Storytelling in the Age of Mass Culture (Anansi, 1999); French edition: L'instinct du récit, translated by Albert Beaudry (Bellarmin, 2001)
Contributions to Books
- Introduction to The First Five Years: A Selection from the Tamarack Review, edited by Robert Weaver. Oxford University Press, 1962.
- "On Raymond Souster." In The Making of Modern Poetry in Canada: Essential Articles on Contemporary Canadian Poetry in English, edited by Louis Dudek and Michael Gnarowski. Ryerson Press, 1967.
- "Radio-TV: Mirror of the Nation." In Century, 1867-1967: The Canadian Saga, edited by John D. Harbron. Southam Press, 1967. (Published as a supplement to 20 newspapers.)
- "Visual Arts." In To Every Thing There Is a Season: Roloff Beny in Canada, edited by Milton Wilson. Longmans, 1967.
- "Expo and the Art of the Environment: A Hope for the Future." In Canada: A Guide to the Peaceable Kingdom, edited by William Kilbourn. MacMillan of Canada, 1970.
- Essay in Michael Snow: A Survey [exhibition catalogue]. Art Gallery of Ontario, 1970.
- Essay in Albert Jacques Franck [exhibition catalogue]. Gallery Moos, 1970.
- "Galbraith in Dutton." In Canadian Writing Today, edited by Mordecai Richler. Penguin, 1970.
- Introduction to A Saturday Night Scrapbook, edited by Morris Wolfe. New Press, 1973.
- "The Authentic Voice of Canada." In The Search for identity, edited by James Foley. Macmillan of Canada, 1976.
- "The Good Wife." In Toronto Short Stories, edited by Morris Wolfe and Douglas Daymond. Doubleday, 1977.
- "The Images of Atwood." In Margaret Atwood: A Symposium, edited by Linda Sandler. University of Victoria, 1977.
- Essay in Arthur Handy Retrospective [exhibition catalogue]. London Art Gallery, 1977.
- Introduction to The Cultural Connection: An Essay on Culture and Government Policy in Canada, by Bernard Ostry. McClelland and Stewart, 1978.
- Introduction to The Great Comic Book Heroes and Other Essays, by Mordecai Richler; selected and introduced by Robert Fulford. McClelland and Stewart, 1978.
- Introduction to Poets and Other People: Drawings [exhibition catalogue], by Harold Town. Art Gallery of Windsor, 1979.
- "'A Sort of Reckless Courage.'" In The Journalists. Royal Commission on Newspapers, 1981.
- "Reflections on Primitive Art." In Writing Prose: Techniques and Purposes, Canadian ed., edited by Thomas S. Kane et al. Oxford University Press, 1981.
- Foreword to Canada, a Landscape Portrait, edited by J.A. Kraulis. Hurtig, 1982.
- Introduction to City Light: A Portrait of Toronto, by John De Visser. Oxford University Press, 1983.
- Foreword to The Riot at Christie Pits, by Cyril H. Levitt and William Shaffir. Lester & Orphen Dennys, 1987.
- "Why Ottawa Is Afraid of Art [Government]." In Documents in Canadian Art, edited by Douglas Fetherling. Broadview Press, 1987.
- Essay in Unofficial Portraits: Canadian Politicians Photographed by Themselves [exhibition catalogue], by Andrew Danson. Doubleday Canada and the Art Gallery of York University, 1987.
- Essay in Christopher Pratt: Recent Paintings [exhibition catalogue]. Mira Godard Gallery, 1988.
- Essay in Mashel Teitelbaum: A Retrospective [exhibition catalogue]. Art Gallery of Hamilton, 1992.
- "A Post-Modern Dominion: The Changing Nature of Canadian Citizenship." In Belonging: The Meaning and Future of Canadian Citizenship, edited by William Kaplan. McGill-Queen's University Press, 1993.
- Foreword to David Irving's Hitler: A Faulty History Dissected, Two Essays, by Eberhard Jäckel; translation and comments by H. David Kirk. Ben-Simon Publications, 1993.
- Introduction to Hidden Values: Contemporary Canadian Art in Corporate Collections, by Robert Swain. Douglas & McIntyre, 1994.
- Introduction to Great Scott!: The Best of Jay Scott's Movie Reviews, edited by Karen York. McClelland & Stewart, 1994.
- Introduction and essay in Magnificent Decade: Harold Town: 1955-1965: Paintings, Collages, Drawings, Prints, and Memorabilia. [exhibition catalogue]. Henry Moore Gallery, 1997.
- "The Mystery of the Bathurst Street Elvis." In Pop Can: Popular Culture in Canada, edited by Lynne Van Luven and Priscilla L. Walton. Prentice Hall Allyn and Bacon Canada, 1999.
- "Tommy Douglas, Mary Pickford, Glenn Gould, Anne of Green Gables and Captain Kirk: Canadians in the World's Imagination." In True North: Canadian Essays for Composition, edited by Janice MacDonald. Addison-Wesley, 1999.
- "John Diefenbaker: Gifts and Flaws," March 23, 1963. In Maclean's People: A Gallery of Canadian Greats, edited by Michael Benedict. Viking, 2001.
- "All hail Mau the Magnificent." In Looking Closer: 4, Critical Writings on Graphic Design, edited by Michael Bierut, William Drenttel, and Steven Heller. Allworth Press, 2002.
- Essay in Geoffrey James: Past, Present, Future. [exhibition catalogue], University of Toronto Art Centre, 2003.
- Introduction to Uptown Downtown, by Raymond Souster. Battered Silicon Dispatch Box, 2006.
- "The Trouble with Emily." In Beyond Wilderness: The Group of Seven, Canadian Identity and Contemporary Art, edited by John O'Brian and Peter White. McGill-Queen's University Press, 2007.
- "Bred in the Bone." In American Myths: What Canadians Think They Know about the United States, edited by Rudyard Griffiths. Key Porter Books, 2008.
- "Wood, Light and Dreams: A Museum in Frank Gehry's Neighbourhood." In Frank Gehry in Toronto: Transforming the Art Gallery of Ontario. Art Gallery of Ontario, 2009.
- Essay in Colville Tributes: Schmied, Schultz, Welch and Fulford, edited by Andrew Steeves. Gaspereau Press, 2011.
- Introduction to Buildings, Cities, Life: An Autobiography in Architecture, by Eberhard H. Zeidler. Dundurn, 2013.
- "How Twitter Saved the Octothorpe." In Culture: A Reader for Writers, edited by John Mauk. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- "An Actress Who Survived the Disaster Began the Legend That Is Titanic." In The Titanic, edited by Daniel Gaetán-Beltrán. Greenhaven Press, 2015.
Photo by Keith Beaty, 1987, courtesy of Toronto Star Archives
Robert Fulford's Home Page